I have recently started to cook whole roasted chickens and finding them to be quite good. This recipe was so easy and produced a flavorful chicken for any night of the week with or without stuffing.
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and sliced into thin long pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned and peeled and sliced into thin long pieces
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 10 cloves of garlic, peeled, left whole
- 1 small roasting chicken
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper and paprika to taste
- Your Favorite Stuffing or mine
Preheat oven to 400. Place a large frying pan over over heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic and salt and pepper. Can do this in batches if needed. Allow vegetables to brown and caramelize then place in large Dutch oven.
Sprinkle inside and out of chicken with salt and pepper and paprika. Then place the chicken on the hot frying pan and brown both sides. Place chicken in Dutch oven over the vegetables and if desired stuff the inside with bread stuffing of choice. Pour wine and broth over top and cover and place in oven. Cook for about 40 minutes, then uncover and cook for another 15 minutes or so to allow skin to brown and crisp. Chicken is done when a thermometer reads 165F. If you stuffed the chicken, it is ideal for the stuffing to reach a temp of 170, it is best to remove it from the cavity and let it cook a little longer on its own.
I personally like it crispy so this works for me.