Stuffed peppers are a perfect dish for Sukkot. Use Grow & Behold meatball mix or combine ground beef with ground rose veal or ground lamb in this recipe. Using different kinds of meat changes the flavor of the meal.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 - 8Servings
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup capers
- ¼ cup degelet noor dates, finely chopped (don’t use Medjool, they are too squishy to chop)
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cooked short grain white rice, cooled (rinse it thoroughly before cooking so it doesn’t clump together)
- 8 small or 6 medium red peppers
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Slice a thin section off the bottom of the peppers so they stand up straight. Slice off tops and remove seeds and pith carefully. Save tops.
3. Combine filling ingredients (excluding meat) and mix thoroughly.
4. Drop sections of meat into filling ingredients and combine gently using your fingers until filling is evenly distributed but mixture is still light.
5. Spoon filling into peppers and replace their “lids”.
6. Set peppers in baking dish. Pour broth on top.
7. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until meat is cooked and peppers are tender but not falling apart.
Recipe by Anna Hanau
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.