In Israel we get positively giddy when there is a crossover in seasonal produce. While strawberry season is coming to close, stone fruits are just beginning to make an appearance and they are lovely. For a new take on an old classic, this recipe features strawberries and nectarines paired with a strong blue cheese, fresh herbs and the requisite toasted bread. Tossed with fresh mixed greens, this salad is a lovely accompaniment to any dairy meal.
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- 2 large ripe nectarines cut into cubes
- 6 basil leaves cut in a chiffonade
- 1 small red onion quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package mixed baby greens
- 1/2 a day old white baguette cut into cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large mixing bowl toss the bread cubes with enough olive oil to coat. Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet till golden and toasted, appx 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl mix vinegar and honey. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream whisking constantly till emulsified. Dress salad. Add bread cubes right before serving, toss gently to combine.
Photos by: Photoli Photography by Andrea Brownstein - www.photoli.net