- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 - 8 servings ServingsServings
- 9 cups:cubed peeled butternut, buttercup or Hubbard squash
- 1 cup:small pitted prunes
- 1 tablespoon:minced garlic
- 2 medium shallots,:thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon:ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon:dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon:dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt,:divided
- 1/2 teaspoon:freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 10 skinless,:bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 cup chicken:broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon:freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup:orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine the squash, prunes, garlic, shallots, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and mix well.
- Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and place on top of the vegetables.
- In a bowl combine the broth, orange zest and juice and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, basting often, approx1 hour.
- Serves 6 to 8