These Spinach, Sweet Potato, and Goat Cheese Latkes combine two superfoods— spinach and sweet potatoes, into one totally delicious latke. It is a great way to re-purpose leftovers into a fresh dish that your family will love. In fact I invented it by combining leftover mashed potatoes with frozen spinach.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and strained
- 1⁄2 cup mashed sweet potato from 1 large sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup panko (optional)
- Oil for frying
1. Mix spinach, mashed sweet potato, eggs, salt and pepper, and half of goat cheese until well combined. Mixture will stay together without the breadcrumbs, but some like their latkes a little firmer, so add the panko if desired. Heat oil in frying pan and drop batter by small tablespoons. Cook about 3 minutes until browned, turn over and cook 2 more minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain excess oil.
2. While frying latkes, heat the other half of the goat cheese for about 15 seconds in the microwave. Stir well, adding a little milk if needed to get to a sauce-like consistency.
3. Serve latkes with goat cheese sauce.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now