Roll up your chicken around a delicious filling of chickpeas, dates and spinach. A gorgeous and delicious healthy dinner.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 10 dried, pitted dates
- 1 (16-oz.) can organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (9-ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 3 Wise Organic chicken breasts
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
1. Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Spray 8 by 8 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Pour hot water over dates; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Drain dates and chop them into small pieces.
3. Heat large nonstick skillet on medium; add vegan butter.
4. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds, or until fragrant, then add dates; saute 30 more seconds. Add chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Saute 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add spinach in small batches to the chickpea mixture, stirring until it is incorporated, dark green, and wilted. Remove mixture from heat, put into bowl and allow to cool slightly.
6. While spinach mixture is cooling, place chicken breast on cutting board. Add three layers paper towels, then flatten chicken breast to about ¼ inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Season each breast with salt and pepper.
7. Add about 2 tablespoons spinach mixture to each pounded chicken breast. Roll breast around mixture; sprinkle tops of chicken with smoked paprika and additional salt and pepper. Use a toothpick if needed to hold filling inside breast.
8. Place chicken side by side in glass baking dish.
9. Bake chicken for 25-30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F degrees. Remove from oven and tent chicken with foil for five minutes; save additional spinach filling to serve with chicken.