The combination of the three cheeses, spinach and fresh herbs is magical. If you are short on time, you can purchase pizza dough from you local pizza shop or make my One Bowl, No Mixer Pizza Dough.
I adapted this recipe from Food & Wine magazine. When we tested this calzone, it blew us away.
Related: 24 Mouthwatering Pizza Recipes
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon:fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1-dpound raw pizza dough
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix cheeses, spinach, basil and parsley.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts and roll out on a floured board to about 6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling onto each piece of pizza dough.
- Fold over and seal edges, pinching closed with fingers or tines of a fork.
- Place calzones on prepared cookie sheet.
- Beat egg and brush tops of calzones. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until dough is golden.
Add 1 finely chopped red onion to the cheese mixture to give this dish more zip. For a yummy variation, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese on top of each calzone instead of the sesame seeds.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.