I adapted this recipe from Food & Wine magazine. When we tested this calzone, it blew us away.
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon:fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1- pound raw pizza dough, from local pizza shop
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix cheeses, spinach, basil and parsley.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts and roll out on a floured board to about 6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon equal amounts of filling onto each piece of pizza dough.
- Fold over and seal edges, pinching closed with fingers or tines of a fork.
- Place calzones on prepared cookie sheet.
- Beat egg and brush tops of calzones. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until dough is golden.
Add 1 finely chopped red onion to the cheese mixture to give this dish more zip. For a yummy variation, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese on top of each calzone instead of the sesame seeds.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER