You will love this simple sauté of green veggies, the perfect side dish to really any meal, goes equally well with fish or chicken or beef.
Variation using frozen spinach that's been thawed and squeezed dry: Follow the instructions, sautéing and softening the leeks for about 25 minutes in olive oil. Then add garlic and red pepper flakes. Add wine and a bag of defrosted spinach and mix until just combined. Place this filling in a prepared sheet of defrosted puff pastry dough and roll it up like a deli- or jelly-roll. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds, then bake it uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until slightly browned and flaking. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into ¼-inch rounds then halved
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 bag baby spinach (20-ounce)
1. Heat evoo in a large sauté pan over medium low heat. Add leeks, cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes. Add wine and spinach and increase heat to medium.
3. Cover and cook 4 minutes more tossing occasionally, until spinach is wilted.