Small eggplants cook evenly and are rarely bitter. I don't usually salt these, but I do like to give them a good dose of spice to coax flavor from the fruit (eggplants are technically fruit).
Serve this alongside our Israeli-Style Chicken Fricassee.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons harissa, homemade or store-bought
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric or ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- A good pinch ground cinnamon
- 3 baby eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and scored in a pretty cross-hatch pattern on cut side
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together evoo, lemon juice, harissa, garlic, turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon.
3. Schmear spice mixture on cut side of eggplant and season with salt and pepper.
4. Roast eggplants at 400°F for 35 to 45 minutes until darkened, slightly crispy, and very fragrant.
5. Transfer eggplant to platter and serve with Israeli-Style Chicken Fricassee.