I love cumin and pumpkin and this recipe combines both beautifully. There is no need to puree this soup either. Heat and enjoy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or margarine
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced (I use 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 can carrot juice (12-15 ounces of carrot juice)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds, optional but a nice touch
1. Saute carrot and onion in oil 9-10 minutes, stirring as it softens and browns a little. Add garlic, cumin and cinnamon and cook 1 minute.
2. Add broth, pumpkin and carrot juice and bring to a boil over the heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes to blend the flavors.
3. Sprinkle the roasted pumpkin seeds on top in each bowl when you serve it.
To make carrot juice without a fruit juicer ( the easiest choice) you can blend 2 pounds of carrots with a little bit of water in the blender. Pour it into a container with half a liter of water and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain it, if desired, as pulp will form.