A one pot dinner can be had with lentils and chicken, hearty and delicious.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced plus 2 whole peeled cloves, divided
- 1 cup French or green lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 to 9 cup chicken broth
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread
Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and sauté 2 minutes more or until fragrant. Add lentils, sweet potato, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and ginger and sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken breast and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 30 to 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Toast bread in toaster or broil until lightly browned. While still hot, rub each slice with remaining whole garlic cloves until seasoned with flavor.
Divide soup among bowls and garnish with green onion. Serve with garlic toast.