This Italian classic has been remade vegetarian style with ground soy meat crumbles stealing the star role.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced medium
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tube Gimme lean ground sausage style meat substitute (14-ounce package)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5-ounce can)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta water.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots to the sautee pan and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add meat substitute and break up with a wooden spoon into bite size chunks. Cook 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add wine, stock, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat well. Add a few tablespoons of reserved water at a time to help coat the noodles if needed. Divide between bowls and serve warm.