Roasting a whole turkey is an art. With this step-by-step recipe for Southern roasted turkey with bourbon glaze you'll be the artist.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (15-pound) WHOLE TURKEY, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium orange, cut in wedges
- Pickled peaches, for garnish as needed
Bourbon Peach Glaze:
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur or orange juice
1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Reserve for gravy. Blot turkey dry with clean paper towels.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird. Insert orange wedges into both cavities.
3. Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
4. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2 1/2 inch deep) roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
5. Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3 3/4 hours. Baste with the pan juices.
6. During the last 30 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with the Bourbon-Peach glaze. (See below) Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh and 170 degrees F in the breast.
7. Remove turkey from the oven, remove the orange wedges and allow the bird to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
8. Place on a warm large platter and garnish with pickled peaches.
Bourbon Peach Glaze
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine preserves, bourbon and orange liquid. Cook until preserves are melted.
Note: Provides 22 servings at 6 ounces per portion.
Source: National Turkey Federation