Kalamata olives are delicious, but something wonderful happens when they are lightly sautéed in extra virgin olive oil. The olives’ flavor becomes a bit smoky and more complex. The addition of brightly flavored orange zest and a gentle POKE of heat from crushed red pepper and any dish becomes exciting. Store extra topping, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Serve Smoky Olive Topping on Poached Halibut.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cupServings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add evoo and olives. Sauté, stirring occasionally until olives begin to crisp up on edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and crushed red chiles, stir and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in orange zest and parsley.
4. The fried olive garnish can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days before serving.