Waldorf salad is a classic dish created in the famous hotel in New York in the end of the 19th century and had numerous versions since. For me the salad basics are an inspiration. I took the basics of this salad which are celery, apples and walnuts and gave them an updated twist that turns this into a fun light salad which can double as a proper meal. I like to use crispy salnova lettuce on the bottom and top it with apples, celery, grapes, pomegranate seeds and warm smoked salmon flakes, in a mayo- orange date honey dressing.
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 4 Pink Lady or Granny Smith apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of black, seedless grapes, halved lengthwise
- 6 celery stalks (choose light and inner stalks) chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries/cranberries/raisins
- 4 tablespoons finally chopped parsley
Orange Yogurt Dressing
- 1 container Greek yogurt (130 grams - 4.5 oz)
- 4 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon date honey
- Freshly ground coarse salt and black pepper
- 14- 18 ounces (400-500 grams) of warm smoked salmon fillets, dissected to pieces
- 2 heads of Salnova lettuce
- Pomegranate seeds from half a medium size pomegranate
- 1 cup coarsely chopped roasted walnuts
Core the apples, cut in half and slice into thin slices. Place in a large bowl and drizzle well with the lemon juice, so that all the apples are covered.
Add grape halves, celery, cherries and chopped parsley, mix well.
Prepare dressing: in a bowl mix well all the dressing ingredients, season with fresh ground salt and pepper.
Mix half the dressing onto the apple mixture. Before serving, place lettuce leaves on a large serving plate or distribute to individual plates. Place apple mixture on top. Place salmon pieces on top, pomegranate seeds and walnuts and drizzle the rest of the dressing.