- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purposed flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 2 oz. shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 cups coarsley chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni
1 preheat your oven to 350F
2 Place your piece of bread in a food processor, and purse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.
3 Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, still stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil and cook until thick, which is about 2 minutes.
4 Add cheeses and continue to stir until melted.
5 Add your spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes or until bubbly.