This actually came from a recipe book compiled by the wife of a British officer serving in the British Army during the Mandate in Palestine.
It is always a hit with whatever meat I am using,including chicken and you would never guess that the secret ingredient is coffee!! It makes a wonderful dark brown, flavorful gravy. Beteyavon!!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 PeopleServings
- 1/2 cup hot instant coffee 1/2 cup boiling water/1 teas instant coffee
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 3 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 large Onion Sliced
- 3-4 pound Beef Kolichal Can subsitute, top of rib, chicken or brisket
- 4 large Potatoes Large diced sections
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup of cold water
Combine the first seven liquid ingredients for gravy in a small bowl with the cornstarch mixture.
Lay sliced onion on the bottom of slow cooker. Add the vegetables and add the meat on top.
Pour the contents of the bowl with the liquids on top. (I do not add any further spices, however you may add salt and pepper).
Leave on High for one hour and medium for the next 4 hours or more.
Transfer roast to a cutting board; thinly slice against the grain. Place vegetables in a serving dish and pour gravy through a sieve over all.