Slow cooker ease plus ethnic flavors equals yum in this easy, dairy-free, at-home version of Slow Cooker Chicken Curry. Don't miss out on the squeeze of lemon at the end- that citrus kick makes the dish!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 1/2 to 1 inch dice
- ½ cup coconut milk (I prefer regular, but you can use light here)
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder (for those who like a spicier curry)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro (for garnish)
1. In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
2. Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
4. Using two forks, shred cooked chicken (if it’s easier, go ahead and remove it from the cooker to shred). Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
5. Serve over brown rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro. (And hot sauce if you like it spicier!)