This is an authentically down-home cornbread - made with canola oil!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- canola cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour 250 mL
- 2/3 cup cornmeal 150 mL
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar 15 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper 1 mL
- 2/3 cup skim milk 150 mL
- 1 (12 oz/341 mL) can whole kernel corn, drained 1
- 1 (4.5 oz/113g) can shopped green chilies 1
- 2 Tbsp red pepper, chopped finely 30 mL
- 1 tsp onion powder 5 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 egg, lightly beaten 1
1 Preheat oven to 400°F (230°C).
2 Spay oven-proof skillet with canola oil cooking spray and place in oven to heat.
3 Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center of mixture.
4 Combine milk and remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.