A slice of warm cornbread, dripping with butter (or margarine), is one of life’s indescribable pleasures. Corn muffins, cornbread, cornmeal cakes -- I adore them all! In this Skillet Cornbread, the dried cranberries and sage complement each other like Fred & Ginger; Shrek & Fiona; Fred & Wilma, you get it I’m sure. Leave ‘em in if this sounds good to you (and, believe me, it’s not just good – it’s great!) Leave ‘em out if you want a more traditional, no frills, classic cornbread.
Just because I would give my Bubbie’s secret brisket recipe for a slice of warm cornbread doesn’t mean you have to. Plenty of people enjoy it at room temp, which makes this a nice make-ahead recipe. But if you want to experience Jamie Geller Heaven, wrap it in foil and place it in a warm oven to heat through right before serving.
And don’t worry! The recipe calls for a cast iron skillet, but you can make it in any pan you have. Just don’t forget the butter before serving – now that would be like spending five hours at the mall and coming home empty-handed.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
⅔ cup fine cornmeal
⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cup plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
¾ cup vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon ground dried sage
Preheat oven to 375° F.
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together soy milk and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes or until lumpy. Combine with vegan butter and eggs and whisk well. Stir into dry mixture and add cranberries and sage and mix until just combined.
3. Pour into a 12-inch cast iron skillet and bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned and springy to the touch. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.