Started skin-side down on the stovetop and finished off in the oven ensures thick fillets cook through evenly. This, my absolute favorite way to enjoy salmon, yields a crispy skin meant to be enjoyed along with the fish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 (5-oz) salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Heat oil in a large oven-proof, non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pat salmon dry. Generously salt the skin.
4. Place salmon skin-side down in the hot oiled pan and sear for 5 minutes.
5. Flip salmon and place the pan in oven for 5 minutes more.
6. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Doneness Test: Insert and remove a sharp knife into the center of the salmon (do this through the side of the fillet directly into the flesh and not through the skin side). If the knife feels warm to the touch the salmon is cooked through.
Serve With: Keep it light and serve alongside roasted tomatoes, wilted spinach, or steamed string beans.
Dress it Up: For a dairy meal, top with a pat of Lemon and Herb Compound Butter.
Lemon and Herb Compound Butter: Place 1 cup butter, 1 cup loosely packed herb leaves (parsley, dill, thyme), and zest of 1 lemon in a food processor and pulse until combined. Store in an airtight container, or rolled and wrapped in saran in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.