One of the easiest and best apple cake recipe around.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon:salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5½ tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup milk or non-dairy substitute
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish or pie pan with a 4-cup capacity.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a bowl, combine ⅓ cup of sugar with cinnamon, set aside.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter with remaining ⅓ cup sugar.
6. Beat in egg until blended.
7. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk, beating until just combined.
8. Spread half of batter in the baking dish. Lay apple slices on the batter so they just cover the batter (you may have to overlap some slices). Sprinkle the apples with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
9. Spread rest of the batter over the apples. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top.
10. Bake cake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and apples start to bubble at the edges.