This kosher beef Shoulder Roast recipe can also be used for Delmonico Roast, French Roast or Rib Roast. The herbs do double duty -- flavoring the meat, then building an incredible pan sauce to serve with the meat.
This is a meal fit to impress, but easy enough for a beginner cook.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Garlic Herb Rub
Herbed Pan Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Reserved garlic/herbs mixture from roast
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or matzo meal for Passover)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1-2 cups beef broth, vegetable broth or water
1. Mix all Garlic Herb Rub ingredients together and rub all over the shoulder roast. Refrigerate 4-6 hours.
2. When you are ready to cook, let the roast come to room temperature before browning. Scrape off herbs and garlic from the roast into a little dish and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 250°F.
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Place the roast in the pan and cook, undisturbed, 3-4 minutes. Rotate until all sides of the roast are nicely browned (you can do this in a 450°F degree oven, but the sear is much better on the stove top.) Transfer the roast to a roasting pan and put in the oven.
5. Allow 20 minutes per pound, or cook until roast is medium rare.
6. Allow roast to rest under a loose tent of aluminum foil at least 10 minutes before carving.
7. Remove roast from the Dutch oven and transfer to stove top. Add more olive oil if necessary. Add herb garlic mixture and cook over low heat until garlic is fully caramelized and crispy. It’s ok if some of it starts to stick to the pan, but be sure to remove the garlic and herbs before they burn.
8. Deglaze the pan with red wine, scraping up the bits on the bottom as the wine simmers.
9. Mix cornstarch with warm water until dissolved. Add to wine, along with broth/water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Return garlic and herb bits to the pan and simmer to reduce to desired thickness.
10. Slice roast and serve with pan sauce.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.