- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 ServingsServings
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 15 bamboo or wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2½ cup cooked whole wheat couscous
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives
In a small bowl, cover bread with enough water to completely submerge and soak 20 minutes. Remove and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Place in a large bowl with lamb, onion, ¼ cup parsley, 1 tablespoon vinegar, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, salt and zest. Using your hands, mix well until combined. Divide into 15 portions and form each into a ball. Form each ball around skewer into a 2 to 3-inch long tube shape, pressing gently.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Cook skewers in batches for 8 to 12 minutes, turning often, until nicely browned. Continue with remaining skewers.
In a large bowl, combine couscous with pine nuts, raisins, chives, and remaining 2 tablespoons of each parsley, vinegar and olive oil and stir to combine. Serve at room temperature with warm skewers.