Spice up your latkes with some fresh pumpkin and lots of flavor. Curry powder is the secret to this recipe, it creates a savory flavor profile that compliments the pumpkin and potatoes in this recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- about 2 dozen ServingsServings
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded (after shredding the potatoes, place them in a large bowl with ice water-they won’t oxidize and turn rust colored)
- 1 cup freshly grated sugar pumpkin (small pie pumpkin) or other favorite squash
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and grated
- 3 egg whites, beaten with a whisk until frothy
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3-6 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Neutrally flavored oil for frying (I prefer canola)
- Place the shredded potatoes in a large clean towel and squeeze out all of the moisture; make sure the potatoes are completely dry.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add the potatoes. Mix all of the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a large skillet with 1-½ inches of oil. Drop spoonfuls of latke batter into the oil. Flatten it slightly with the back of a spoon. Brown the latkes on both sides. Transfer to a platter lined with paper towels.
- To re-heat: Place the latkes on a cookie sheet and heat in a 400 degree oven until hot.