All the flavors of Provence in one delicious pan. You can vary the vegetables depending upon what you have on hand. The flavors of this dish marry beautifully and the vegetables can be served hot, at room temperature or chilled. Serve the vegetables with fish, chicken or as a light entrée with a salad. The perfectly sautéed vegetables can also be made into a delicious omelet.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small eggplant, (about 8 ounces), stem removed
- 1 pound coarse sea salt, or kosher salt
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 cups
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed (1-inch)
- 1 pint basket ripe cherry tomatoes
- Crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Whack garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife, toss them into the olive oil and let steep at room temperature 30 minutes to 2 hours.
3. Cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
4. Toss eggplant with 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, then transfer to a colander. Let stand about 30 minutes. Rinse under cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
5. Toss eggplant with enough of the infused olive oil to coat lightly. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until well browned and tender, about 20 minutes. It may be necessary to turn the eggplant once or twice during roasting to cook them evenly
6. Heat 2 tablespoons of infused oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fish out garlic from the oil and add it to the skillet. Cook, shaking the pan, until the garlic is light brown, about 2 minutes.
7. Scatter onion over the oil. Season lightly with salt and cook, tossing or stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
8. Stir in red and yellow peppers, season them lightly with salt and cook, stirring or tossing often, until browned, about 5 minutes.
9. Pour 2 tablespoons of infused oil into another skillet over medium medium heat. Stir in zucchini, season lightly with salt and cook, tossing or stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Slide zucchini into pan with onion-pepper mixture.
10. Add cherry tomatoes to empty skillet and cook, shaking the skillet until the skins pop, about 3 minutes. Slide them into the skillet with the other vegetables.
11, Gently slide eggplant into the skillet.
12. Stir in basil and cook until eggplants are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt and crushed red pepper desired.