You can do no harm when adding mushrooms and onions to a hot dog. This recipe is quick, easy and extremely flavorful. The aroma of the sautéed onions will leave your mouth watering and keep you going back for seconds. Top your hot dog off with some yellow mustard to give your meal some extra color and taste.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (14 oz) package of beef Frankfurters (aka hot dogs)
- 1 (8 oz) package of sliced 'Baby Bella' mushrooms
- 1 small brown onion
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 (12 oz) package of Frankfurter rolls
- Mustard to taste
1. Dice the brown onion.
2. Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil. Place diced onions in a skillet and sauté on a medium heat until they begin to brown.
3. Add sliced mushrooms and crushed garlic to the skillet and sauté until the mixture is golden brown.
4. Option 1: Coat a separate skillet with cooking spray and add the frankfurters. On a medium-high heat, cook your dogs and constantly turn them in order that they evenly cook.
Option 2: Place the frankfurters on the grill perpendicular to the grate and 1 inch apart. Turn the dogs every 1-2 minutes in order that your dog cooks evenly.
Your hot dogs will be ready once the outside begins to crack.
5. Open your hot dog buns face down either on a grill or skillet and toast for 30 seconds.
6. Place your hot dog in the bun and add your mushroom and onion mixture.
7. For extra flavoring add mustard to taste.