My friend Pam went to Greece with three of her childhood friends. They had made a pact that no matter where they were living, the year that they all turned 40, they would meet in/ Greece, so it was in Santorini that they swam in the sea, drank in the Jacuzzi and at salad for sustenance! It was the salad I was interest in, so we got to work, substituted here and there, couldn't quite get the mood back for Pam, but we finally got the taste.
- 2 Fresh English cucumbers, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 12 oz. baby tomatoes
- 10 black olives
- 10 greeen olives
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 9 oz plain/smoked tofu, cubed into small pieces (As a dairy dish this can be substituted with Feta cheese)
- 1 white onion, cut in half and sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup couscous, baked in a hot oven at 375 Deg. F until golden brown (cooked or uncooked - if it's previously cooked it may need a little longer in the oven to make it crispy/crunchy)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried origanum or oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
Place the salad ingredients (except the couscous) into a bowl.
Pour dressing over the salad and just before serving, sprinkle with baked couscous.
Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jar and shake well. Chill before serving.
Another delicious option is to add 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup water and 2 heaped Tbsp hummus to dressing.