I love my snacks to be salty, crunchy, and sweet. That’s exactly why this popcorn is my latest obsession. Just whip up a batch of Simple Salted Caramel Sauce, pour it over freshly popped popcorn, and bake. I like it simple, but you can get creative by drizzling it with melted white or dark chocolate once it comes out of the oven. You can also mix in your favorite candy or marshmallows. For a sweet and spicy variation, add a few drops of sriracha or other hot sauce to the caramel. For another spicy variation, try sprinkling the popcorn with some cayenne pepper before drizzling the caramel on top. For a Cracker Jack, try mixing in salted peanuts or your favorite nuts, then drizzle the whole thing with the caramel sauce.
This makes a really delicious gift: Package it in a clear gift bag and tie with a ribbon.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 16 cups plain or natural popcorn (4 ounces unpopped kernels or 2 bags of microwave popcorn)
- 1 recipe of Simple Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and divide the popped popcorn between the two sheets.
2. Prepare a salted caramel sauce. When it comes off the heat, carefully stir in the baking soda. The caramel will bubble up! Once stirred together, pour over the popcorn. Carefully stir the popcorn, making sure all the pieces get coated.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes to make sure the popcorn doesn’t burn.
4. Baking in the oven turns the popcorn from chewy to crunchy. Allow to cool before enjoying.
5. The popcorn will cool in large chunks, so once cool, break the popcorn into smaller pieces.
6. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Purim 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW