Spice up salmon with this savory rub - paprika, thyme, cumin, curry and more. You can play with the spices according to your taste to get what suits you.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pound salmon filet (with skin on)
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika (used smoked paprika if you like hotter spices)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
1. Mix all ingredients together. You may prefer to start out conservatively on some of the spices. Taste the mix and adjust the seasonings to your liking. For example, some might like a more robust flavour and add more curry and cayenne pepper, while others might prefer to halve the curry and cayenne.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
Place a small amount of olive oil on baking sheet. Place salmon, skin side down, on the baking sheet.
Coat the top of the salmon with the rub, no oil needed.
3. Bake at 400 Fahrenheit until salmon flakes with a fork. It's hard to say how long it will cook because the thickness of the fish can vary so much. Thinner fillets can be finished in 15 minutes, while a thick fillet may take as long as 25 minutes.
You can double the recipe, store it in the fridge and you'll have some quick and healthy meals for several weeks.
Make up extra spice rub and refrigerate it. Take it out, rub it on salmon and you have a quick, healthy and tasty meal.