Cooked apples have a kind of lushness that suits chicken perfectly. Saffron contributes flavor and color, helping this dish rise to any occasion.
Always make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil, we love Colavita.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1. Thoroughly wash leeks to remove all traces of grit. Fill a bowl with cold water and add leeks, separating the rings. Swish water a bit to agitate leeks and scoop leeks off the top. All the grit and dirt will sink to the bottom.
2. In a large skillet, heat evoo over medium-high heat. Add apples to create a single layer in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. (Yes...salt and pepper! We are treating the apples as a savory ingredient here.) Brown on one side for 3 to 4 minutes, turn, and brown the other side for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Transfer apples to a large plate. Repeat until all of the apples are browned.
4. In the same pan, sauté leeks until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth and saffron to the pan, bring to a boil. Return apples to the pan and simmer for an additional 2 minutes, being sure to coat apples with saffron broth.
6. Add chopped parsley. Transfer to a serving platter.
Delicious served alongside Chicken with Honey Roasted Cipollini Onions
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.