Sachlav is a popular Middle Eastern/Israeli hot drink that is thick and flavored with rose water or orange blossom and cinnamon. It is typically served with toppings of nuts and raising and coconut as desired, get my recipe for Sachlav here.
I took that flavor profile and added to my breakfast oatmeal and it is delicious. Usually Sachlav is made with a special thickener and milk, with the oatmeal you don't need the thickener so it is easier to make anywhere.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup boiling water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon pistachios or favorite nut chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted coconut
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place oats in a bowl and add sugar and salt. Mix well.
2. Pour boiling water over oats and add vanilla extra if using and rose water. Stir well and top with nuts, raisins, and coconut and sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. Serve hot.