Take the tedium out of frying with this giant potato latke. The Rosti with its beautiful wedge presentation can easily be served as a side for your fanciest meal.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large wedges or 8 small wedgesServings
- 2 pounds peeled and grated red-skinned potatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon Winn-Dixie salt
- ½ teaspoon Winn-Dixie freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons Winn-Dixie pure olive oil, plus more for eggs
- 4-8 Winn-Dixie large eggs
- Winn-Dixie red pepper flakes, optional
1. Combine the shredded potatoes and onions in a mesh cloth or metal sieve and squeeze until all liquid is removed.
2. In a medium-large bowl season the potatoes and onions with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Make sure the entire pan is coated. When the oil is hot (you can test the heat by adding a bit of potato and listen for a sizzle), carefully add the potato mixture to the heavy-bottom pan and pat down the top with a spatula.
4. Cook the potato mixture for 2 minutes over medium-high heat then lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 12-15 minutes. You should still hear the sizzle while the potato mixture cooks.
5. When the potato mixture begins to set and the bottom is browning, carefully flip the potato pancake onto a plate or platter. Place a plate the size of the pan over the top then flip the pan upside down. There might be some oil that drips out so flip the pan over the sink if possible.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan and carefully slide the potato pancake back in over medium-low heat. Cook for another 10-12 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the heat, set it aside to cool down for 10 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, fry the eggs.
9. Slice into wedges and serve topped with fried eggs seasoned with red pepper flakes, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Melinda Strauss's Rosti with Smoked Turkey Latke