I finally found the perfect leftover pumpernickel bread, this amazing salad. Also, the roasted tomatoes and onions mixed with the goat cheese give so much flavorful you can almost skip the dressing if trying to cut some calories.
- 2 as a meal ServingsServings
- 1 cup pumpernickel bread cubes (1/2 inch)
- cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped into large chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt and fresh pepper
- 1 tablespoon light mayo
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 cups your choice of lettuce, chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Prepare croutons. Lay bread cubes on a baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in 250 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until they are completely dry. This can be made ahead.
Preheat oven to 350. Lay chopped onions and tomatoes on a baking sheet and mix with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkling of salt and pepper. Roast about 45 minutes until tender and lightly browned. Let cool.
In a small bowl whisk the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with mayo, vinegar and mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
When ready to serve. Layer the lettuce, the tomatoes and onions and sprinkle a little bit of the dressing. Top with croutons and goat cheese and enjoy.