You can use any grain in this salad, but we love the chewy barley with mushrooms and fried sage for good measure.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
3 cups cooked barley*
3 cups assorted mushrooms
½ cup garlic cloves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, divided
Freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Fried sage leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place prepared barley in a large bowl.
- Toss mushrooms and garlic with 2 tablespoons evoo, salt and pepper on sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss mushrooms with barley, balsamic and honey.
- Garnish with fried sage leaves.
Fried sage leaves: Heat ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil in a small pot on medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, fry sage until crispy, three minutes. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bring 3 cups water and 1 cup barley to a boil. Simmer for 40-50 minutes, until barley is cooked to your liking. Drain and spread over a sheet pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon evoo over barley and mix. Store in covered container in the fridge for about 3 days.