This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I always have eggplant on hand and whip this up sometimes just to stuff into a pita for lunch! The eggplant and red onion combo bring out some superb flavors and the cool yogurt sauce adds that extra burst of flavor. I love the addition of pomegranate seeds, but they are by no means necessary.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 eggplant, sliced widthwise into ¼-inch wheels
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) container Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons silan (date syrup)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss the eggplant and onions in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven 15 minutes, toss, and bake an additional 10 minutes, until softened and golden.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mint, parsley, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the pomegranate seeds.
4. Place the eggplant and onion on a serving dish. Scoop the yogurt into the center of the dish, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with silan and chili flakes.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Shavuot 2015. Subscribe Now.
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our *free* JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.