I am such a sucker for pesto. I’ll enjoy a basil and pine nut pesto anytime, but it seems sacrosanct for summer. As we head into fall and winter, I’ve got just the alternative to match the season and still satisfy any pesto addiction. Broccoli is good year-round, but hits its peak season and flavor October through April. In this hearty and satisfying pesto variation, the roasted broccoli’s warmth and depth replace basil’s brightness.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 cups broccoli
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Roast the walnuts in a single layer on a cookie tray for 8-10 minutes. (You can roast more than necessary in order to freeze portions for future batches).
3. Chop the broccoli and then toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at around 425° F for 20-25 minutes. You can line the baking sheet with parchment paper, but aluminum foil will give you the best caramelization.
4. Process together with garlic and nutritional yeast in food processor (preferred) or blender .