I attempted these based on a recipe from a Martha Stewart recipe for a veggie burger, but I found them to be more like rice and bean fritters. I liked them small and served with salsa, could be a great appetizer, side dish or even vegetarian main course.
- 2 cups cooked or canned beans (any kind will do, I like pinto)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Toppings (salsa and/or guacamole)
In a large bowl mash beans well. Add rice and mash more while mixing together. Add bread crumbs, scallions, cilantro, eggs, salt and pepper and cheese if using. Mix to combine. Form into small patties.
Heat a large skillet and add the oil. Place the patties in the hot skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
Serve with salsa and guacamole.
Serve with salsa and/or guacamole or slices of avocado.