Rhubarb is a slightly tart vegetable used in all kinds of pies, crumbles and desserts. Find it frozen year round or fresh in the summer and use either in this warm comforting crisp topped with a scoop of rich vanilla ice cream.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together rhubarb, sugar, zest and vanilla. Place in a greased 9-inch glass pie plate. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon and salt and stir well. Add butter and use fingers, fork or a pastry cutter to incorporate butter into dry ingredients making coarse crumbles. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.