This dish incorporates purple [blue] potatoes, red beets and white goat cheese. As a Registered Dietitian, I’m more than happy to serve up a healthy [and All-American!] dish this year. Purple potatoes are rich in the same antioxidants found in blueberries and pomegranate seeds. Red beets are rich in fiber, vitamins A, B and C, and folic acid [an especially important nutrient for mamas-to-be]. Goat cheese is a good source of protein and calcium, and offers a tangy and creamy bite. The cheese pairs nicely with the different textures of the potatoes and beets.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 small purple potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium sized beets, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling, plus more for baking
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Coat potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper; roast for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through
3. Place roasted potatoes and raw beets on a large plate, top with crumbled goat cheese, and drizzle/sprinkle with red pepper flakes, lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil
4. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold [if you prefer a cold salad, drizzle with red pepper flakes and olive oil right before serving.