- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¾ cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Prepare the red velvet batter. In a medium-sized pot melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, red food coloring, salt, and vinegar.
3. Stir in the flour and mix until smooth. Pour half the batter into a buttered 9x3-inch springform pan and spread until even and just touching the sides. Bake for 20 minutes, or until set. Freeze until ready to fill with cheesecake. If baking in a water bath (which is recommended) use foil to wrap the outside bottom and sides of the pan well.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Shavuot 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW