Schug is basically an Israeli hot sauce. It can be made many different ways and everyone has their favorite, but the basic components are always hot peppers, spices, and garlic.
Make this schug and put it on everything from chicken to hummus. If you prefer the green variety, get our recipe for Green Schug.
- Prep Time
- 3 cupsServings
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper or dried chiles, rehydrated in hot water until soft (about 15 minutes)
- ½ pound red peppers, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 large juicy cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- Water as needed
- Process crushed red pepper, fresh peppers, garlic, cumin, evoo and salt, adding water as necessary to create a thick paste.
- Store schug covered in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 month, or freeze for 2 months.