- 2 cup red lentils
- 1 bunch green onions or 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 of a 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning*
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1. In a saucepan, boil the red lentils in 2 1/2 cups of water for about 15 mins, until tender. It will look a little like pureed lentils.
2. In a large skillet on medium, heat the olive oil and sautee the onions until lightly golden. Toss in the garlic and jalapeno, making sure not to let the garlic brown.
3. Add the lentil puree, tomato sauce, water, and incorporate the taco seasoning. Give it a good mix until everything looks even.
4. Turn the heat down and let it simmer until the liquids have evaporated. Mixing occasionally.
5. Add the cilantro and serve with tacos or tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Add cayenne pepper if you really want to up the spiciness factor
Substitute with brown lentils if you want the lentils to keep their shape rather than have a more pureed consistency
Let your kids put their own toppings: grated cheese, avocado slices, shredded lettuce, sour cream, etc.
You don't have to use tacos, instead try it inside a whole wheat wrap or even pita