This Raw Vegan Mushroom Pizza is packed with plant based alternatives to products such as cheese, crust, and even cooked marinara sauce. Make sure to read the recipe in advance and allow enough time for soaking.
- Prep Time
- 1 large Portobello mushroom, stem removed
- A few drops of ume plum vinegar
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked ahead of time for 30 minutes in just enough water to cover
- 1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds (which I also like to get on Sunfood)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small piece of ginger
- Italian herbs to taste (Oregano, basil)
- Pinch of salt, if necessary (taste test first)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups sliced white-button or mushrooms of choice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Coriander to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
Raw Vegan "Cheese"
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked overnight)
- Small amount of water, enough for blending
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Finely sliced raw olives
- Chopped spinach, and any other vegetables of your choice
1. For the crust: Wash the mushroom with a paper towel (it soaks a lot of water so it’s best not to put it directly under a stream of water) and rub it in a small amount of ume plum vinegar (just a few drops, it’s very strong), letting it soak in for about 30 minutes.
2. For the marinara sauce: Blend all ingredients until very smooth. Add water from the soaking liquid of the sundried tomatoes only if necessary for blending.
3. For the mushrooms: Soak mushrooms in coconut aminos and spices for 30 minutes or more.
4. For the “cheese”: Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender (you will need one for this recipe). You can use your tamper if necessary. You will probably have cheese leftover, which you can use in another recipe, or ferment overnight by placing in a bowl with 1 probiotic capsule mixed in.
5. To assemble: Lay the mushrooms down on the flat side. Fill them with the marinara first, then some cheese, and then top with your favorite toppings!