I love to tell people to hedge their nutritional bets by eating the rainbow. This salad is the perfect way to eat your rainbow in one meal. It looks so colorful and gorgeous you can't help but enjoy it.
Follow this recipe or make your own version, it is easy to adapt and change to what you have in the house and then pack it up for work or a picnic. A healthy lunch never looked so good.
I like to use a poppyseed a dressing to get a little blue in there, but you can also feel free to add blueberries when in season.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup diced red pepper or tomatoes
- 1 cup diced orange peppers or carrots
- 1 cup canned corn or diced yellow peppers
- 1 cup diced green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, or green onion
- 1 cup diced red cabbage or 1/2 cup diced red onion
- Optional: Add a layer of beans for a little more substance if you want to make the salad a meal
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons light mayo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1 Layer all the vegetables in rainbow order.
2 Prepare dressing by whisking the vinegar and sugar together. Add grated garlic, poppy seeds, salt, mustard and mayo, whisk again. While you continue to whisk stream in the olive oil until it is all combined. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3 Pour dressing over salad as desired, store the rest of the dressing in the fridge for later use.