Keep it simple is what this recipe does. It doesn’t take much to make a quick side dish that is filling, colorful, and flavorful.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup sliced almonds, roasted
- ½ cup raisins
- Zest of 1 orange
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place quinoa in a medium saucepan and fill with cold water. Run the pieces of quinoa together and scrub off saponins (a bitter substance produced by the plant to protect the seeds from birds and insects — nature at it’s best!). You will see the water become cloudy. Carefully pour off water and add chicken broth.
2. Cook quinoa, partially covered, over medium-low heat until water level is even with the level of quinoa, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and cover. Allow steam to finish the cooking process for 10 minutes.
3. Transfer quinoa to a serving bowl and add parsley, almonds, raisins, zest, salt, and pepper.