Chef’s Tip: It is always better to combine the dry ingredients first to prevent lumps.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoosn extra-light olive oil + oil for frying
- 1/4 cup onion, diced small
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt + 1 pinch
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Salt, to taste
1. In a heavy-gauge saucepan, preferably stainless steel, warm two tablespoons of oil, and sweat the onions until soft and translucent.
2. Add the quinoa and stir for a few seconds to coat all the grains with oil.
3. Add the water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
4. Lower the heat and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from heat and let cool. In a dry mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and one tablespoon of kosher salt; mix well.
6. Add the egg and the soy milk and mix until all the ingredients are fully combined.
7. Add two cups of the cooked quinoa; mix.
8. Heat two to three tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, spoon batter into mini pancakes (fist size), and fry for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
Nutrition info per serving: 150 calories, 8 g fat, 730 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein
This recipe is excerpted from: The Prime Grill Cookbook.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Purim 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW