Gluten free cholent is easy and delicious when you replace the barley with quinoa. We love this version with a few special surprise ingredients.
This cholent is kosher for Passover too. If you don't have a crockpot just put it in a disposable baking tray, cover tightly and cook it in the oven on low.
Make your own onion soup mix with our all natural recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 to 1 1/2 pound cholent meat/stew beef
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut in chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 cup button or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ½ cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional additions: 2-4 uncooked eggs in their shells or 1 package matzo ball mix prepared per package instructions
1 Places all ingredients into the crock pot and cover with water.
2 Then either place the eggs gently on top or cover the top with the matzo ball batter to seal in the chulent and provide a fun topping that tastes great with the chulent.
3 Turn the crockpot on high for 2 hours then lower it to low for the remaining time, usually about 17 hours from the time shabbat starts until lunch the next day.
4 If you made the eggs, don''t forget to take them out and crack the shell before eating them with the chulent.