- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa 125 mL
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/28 g) pecan pieces 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil, divided 15 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped red onions 250 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped Granny smith apple 250 mL
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp pourable sugar substitute 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp orange zest 2 mL, 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
1 Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered tightly, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2 Drain in a fine-mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool quickly, shaking off excess liquid.
3 Meanwhile, heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add nuts and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4 Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil in the skillet, tilting to coat bottom lightly. Add onions and cook 8 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
5 Remove from heat and set aside on a dinner plate in a thin layer to cool quickly, about 4 minutes.
6 Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Add quinoa, onions, and nuts, tossing gently, yet thoroughly, until well blended.