- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 1 cup quinoa (you may have to rinse it first depending on the kind you buy)
- 2 teaspoon and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small or ½ of a large red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced (can substitute yellow or orange)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeds and ribs removed), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon plus ½ of its zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to the package directions. While the quinoa is cooking add 2 teaspoons of olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, red pepper and jalapeno with the turmeric, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of cracked pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables are softened – about 7 to 8 minutes stirring frequently.
To make the dressing, whisk together the zest of half the lemon, the juice of the whole lemon with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt and some cracked pepper.
Once the quinoa is cooked, combine in a large bowl with the cooked vegetables, a can of rinsed black beans, chopped cilantro, parsley and dressing. Toss until all ingredients are mixed well.
Note: This can be served as a main dish or side dish; hot, cold or room temperature.